||Browse by surname|
||Browse by date|
||Coping with grief|
||Wills & estates|
||Add a memorial|
- I am dying with the help of too many physicians.
- Alexander the Great
- At sixty, I, Dionysios of Tarsos, lie here -- not having married and wishing my father hadn't.
- Dionysios of Tarsos
- Hail Caesar! Those about to die salute you!
- Gladiators' salutation
- Here lies an honest lawyer -- that is Strange.
- Epitaph of Sir John Strange
- Good Americans, when they die, go to Paris.
- Thomas Appleton
- Men fear death, as children fear to go into the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other.
- Francis Bacon
- When you have told someone you have left him a legacy, the only decent thing to do is to die at once.
- Samuel Butler
- Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day.
- Albert Camus
- When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot
of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.
- Winston Churchill
- It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest, that I go to, than I have ever known.
- Charles Dickens
- Here lies my wife; here let her lie!
Now she's at rest, and so am I.
- John Dryden
- All my possessions for a moment of time.
- Elizabeth I
- Why fear death? It is the most beautiful adventure in life.
- Charles Frohman
- Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave.
- Joseph Hall
- Well, I've had a happy life.
- William Hazlitt
- God will pardon me. It is His trade.
- Heinrich Heine
- I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark.
- Thomas Hobbes
- Death... It's the only thing we haven't succeeded in completely vulgarizing.
- Aldous Huxley
- So here it is at last, the distinguished thing.
- Henry James
- I am able to follow my own death step by step. Now I move softly towards the end.
- John XXIII
- If the death penalty is to be abolished, let the murderers take the first step.
- Alphonse Karr
- Die, my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
- Lord Palmerston
- We shall die on our own.
- Blaise Pascal
- He has gone to the majority.
- Anyone can stop a man's life but no one his death; a thousand doors open on to it.
- God's finger touched him, and he slept.
- Alfred Tennyson
- Death is a friend of ours; and he that is not ready to entertain him is not
- Francis Bacon
- Death does not surprise a wise man, he is always ready to leave.
- Jean de la Fontaine